Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Registration via Documentation

22nd February 2012,

It is that time once again when my registration to homeschool my children has come due. I have been very lucky in that for the last 3 times I have had a home visit, which unlike some, I think this is the best option. All my books are here, the kids are here and I'm here to chat with. I can answer those burning questions that the AP (Authorised Person) has and at the end of it all, he leaves me a slip of paper saying I'm legally allowed to educate my children.

Well this time was different. The NSW Board of Studies is now making you register via documentation every second registration, provided there have been no problems. So now the stress and worry about what to included in this process began to set in. To compound the issue we moved 4 months ago to a new area which meant a new AP. How was he going to cope with my methods? How do you even provide enough info to a total stranger?

Lucky for me, in the letter I recieved to remind me that my registration was due and that I had to do it via documentation, it made a comment that the documents would be sent to the person who did the last home visit, if possible. A quick phone and I was told that, yes, if I made note of it, they would send my applications to my old AP.

So as I tend to look at what others are doing and how they record their learning, I thought I would share what I sent in for my documentation. Of course I'm not going to share the actual application as thats just a 2 page form asking for personal details and what years I am planning to teach so of no use to you anyway. And yes, it was sent to my old AP and he rang me the other day to say that I had the go ahead to continue on with homeschooling. My certificate will be mailed out to me shortly.

Anyway, I had been previously told that anything you send to the BOS will be scanned and emailed to the AP's so I decided that I would just do up everything into PDF's. Now bear with me, as I have had to then do a screen print of the pdf pages and save them as a picture. I'm hoping that its not to bad to look at and hopefully you will get the jist of what I have done.

This is Miss E. Application. She has just completed Kindergarten, so the next 2 years of planning are based on stage 1, which is years 1 and 2. The first pdf file was the application.

The second was a pdf of what she had completed in early stage 1 (kindergarten). It was a 2 page document.








The 3rd pdf file was the sample of learning. This was a 7 page document. The first page was a photo of a diary page. The following 6 were photos that covered the 6 key learning areas. I took photos as we don't have a scanner. That way I could also fit a couple of pictures on a page and not have so many pages as well.









 The 4th and last pdf was my plans for the next 2 years. It was 5 pages long. This is because 2 of those pages are the scope and sequence for maths that I copied and pasted. If it wasn't for that it would have only been the 3 pages.






I'm not a big detail person, listing mainly the topics that we covered and are planning to cover. It got me another 2 years registration, so I'm happy. I also had to do applications for Master J and Miss Z, who are both in High School this year. The layout was the same, just their info inside the documents.
So there you have it. Next time it will be the home visit, but I have 2 years to worry about that.

No comments:

Post a Comment